11.02.2007

So What Do You Do?

State of the Art – A Manifesto Lite®

the highest level of development achieved at a particular time
kind of a public declaration of principles and intentions


I took a day to think about the arts and my love-hate relationship with all things arts.
"Why are you always so contrary?"

- Shobnam
Let's start here: “So what do you do?” Given the frequency of its occurrence, SWDYD? has to be this region’s (Washington, D.C., United Sates, America) most important question. One’s “do” is so obviously essentially urgent to this population’s everyday cognitive processing, sorting, and management that it’s often the very first question asked upon introduction. Often you are even introduced as [name], [do] at [organization]. What is that, anyhow?

I have never really played along with SWDYD? and have never been easily up front with my “do.” It's always been a bit.

Old paradigm:
Scene: D.C. cocktail party

Question: SWDTD?

Answer: Hi, I’m Ty and I’m the fifth floor janitor here; just started. Nice party, huh?”
Generally this is received with a flat “nicetomeetyouTy” and a quick exit. It’s a filter for me. The Ninjas get it though. But, digressively there is a point (because I’ve told this story a million times). The point is, I realize that I may have to finally face the facts, don’t you think? Maybe I can let myself be me. Even me with an answer to some questions.

I am an artist. A “lifestyle artist” is the term I’ve previously used. I follow my nose. I take some photographs, I record some things, I produce some things like music and challenging shows, I sometimes display some things, and I nudge, shove, convince, and prod others to do the same. Generally I do the prodding, nudging, shoving, and coercing in order to keep me working.

But! The problem is I still really hate the title/term, “artist.” What is “artist?” Well according to the Wiki:
The definition of an artist is wide-ranging and covers a broad spectrum of activities to do with creating art, practicing the arts and/or demonstrating an art. Debate, both historical and present day, suggests that defining the concept of an artist will continue to be difficult.

Artist is a descriptive term applied to a person who engages in an activity deemed to be an art. An artist also may be defined unofficially, as, "a person who expresses themselves through a medium". The word also is used in a qualitative sense of, a person creative in, innovative in, or adept at, an artistic practice.

Most often, the term describes those who create within a context of 'high culture', activities such as drawing, painting, sculpture, acting, dancing, writing, filmmaking, photography, and music—people who use imagination, talent, or skill to create works that may be judged to have an aesthetic value. Art historians and critics will define as artists, those who produce art within a recognized or recognizable discipline.

The term also is used to denote highly skilled people in non-"arts" activities, as well—crafts, law, medicine, alchemy, mechanics, mathematics, defense (martial arts), and architecture, for example. The designation is applied to high skill in illegal activities, such as "scam artist" (a person very adept at deceiving others, often profiting (semi-illegaly) from other people) or "con artist" (a person very adept at committing fraud).

Often, discussions on the subject focus on the differences among "artist" and "technician", "entertainer" and "artisan," "fine art" and "applied art," or what constitutes art and what does not.
New paradigm:
Scene: D.C. cocktail party

Question: SWDTD?

Answer: I use my imagination, perceived talents, or skills to create works that may be judged to have an aesthetic value (if only to myself).
Good.

What I do is the stuff I actually love doing, things that make me feel satisfied, connected, and complete (and this discussion is limited to non-family stuff but some would argue that is part of the art too). That's pretty damn cool, huh?

So what do I do:

Photography – I’m sure there are a lot of people I know rather well that have never seen me without a camera. I only recently realized that. Some people have even indicated that they like some of my work. Others have asked me to display it; to sell it. Now, I know that I'm being humble or downplaying the reception of my work, but I've never been good with praise. I'm skeptical of praise. I'm as skeptical of praise as I am of criticism. It's all noise to me. But, I'm starting to listen to people whose work, aesthetic, or output I appreciate. I'm not talking mutual admiration society, but there are voices I hear.

As you’ve probably seen in various photo collections of mine—particularly on Rhinosnort—I have noticed that lots of people have lots of cameras and lots of people with lots of cameras take a whole lot of pictures. Photography is not a selective activity as it was, say, in the day(s) of Stieglitz, or Steichen.

Unfortunately most images turn out pretty poor. And, I'm not just talking about the technical aspects. I'm talking about the feeling, meaning, composition, depth, and intention of photography. What does it mean? What can you learn?

I feel that since most photography is cheap, tired, and awful, that I’m – by association – pooled into the same tank of crap. If you ever hear me call myself a photographer (unless I’m lying my way into a good shoot), please punch me in the face. Then spit on me. Thanks.

This kind of bothers me though. If everyone is taking photographs does that make mine more or less important? Maybe important isn’t the right word. Relevent? Dunno. But, I'm tempted to give up photography every day. But I don't.

Music – Most people make some sort of music too. Not only does everybody have a band, but also everybody finds a way to publish his or her own half-assed attempts at rock and roll glory. Mostly I want to not hear it. Jesus, where to start with music? I’ve done it for a lifetime. It’s part of the DNA.

Unfortunately most music turns out pretty poor. I know, it’s a niche world and there are pockets of support out there somewhere for everyone. But art ain't democracy. When I’m making something I still use my “nobody will understand this” filter. I think that’s a good thing somehow because I'm expanding, reaching, and growing the medium. The result is that very few humans understand my music though. So! Fortunately I’ve worked with great musicians who understand that my filters are limiting. Good to work with quality people. What's good with working with quality people (Rich, Dan, Marcus, Jason, and others) is I have had opportunities to do good things that more than two people get.

Poetry? Please? Where could I possibly go with that?
All poetry sucks
Mine is not an exemption
Like drowning puppies
See?

I can’t write or make films or TeeVee shows so I really cannot comment too much there. Except, since film, TeeVee and writing are not my mediums, I can have a somewhat healthy appreciation of good work there. I am still critical, judgmental, and opinionated, but it doesn’t sucky TeeVee, film, and writing doesn’t hurt me in my soul like sucky photography, music or the conceptual arts. I can just pass without regret. I have read some good stuff this summer too. Not really much good TeeVee, but I tell everyone I know when I see something good. Haven’t seen a good motion picture in a while.

Conceptual Art – I'd have to say that most of my artistic pursuits are herded in some sort of "conceptual" pen (uh, this statement was some sort of "concept," see?). It's all about concepts. That's why I've never been a gearhead. I know I can't mix, record, focus, or bracket. Don't you think I realize this? But, who cares, really? Megapixel? Who cares? Chorus? What? Who fucking cares what lens you used? Levels? Typos? I. Don't. Care.

I was raised, educated, and formally trained on several principles:
1. It looks/sounds like art because it is.
2. If that’s what you want to do…then do it.
3. You can do anything you want.
4. Be your own arbiter.
5. Art involves a great deal of suffering.

So I suppose I can now make the declarations:
My State-of-the-Art:

Yep. I am an artist. Thank you (or fuck you, as it may apply).

My manifesto is:

I'll always try to make some things. But, sorry, it may never be "within a recognized or recognizable discipline." It's not for you or your disciplines. It's too late for that. Maybe it'll never be art either. The quantity may decrease over time, but hopefully the quality will increase.

But you are welcome to enjoy it if you want. You're just as much welcome to hate it. That's not something I will ever be able to control, so I cannot really make stuff that you won't hate.

If you want (and here's what's really new and improved) I'll even attempt discuss some of my so-called "art" with you if you want. Even the difficult, "what does it mean?" questions. I'll try.
Whatever. I can do whatever I want.

-ty



Note: Ty Hardaway is an employee of Middlespace Industries of America (MIOA) and all comments are of personal commentary and do not necessarily represent the entity that is Middlespace Industries of America. All correspondence with regard to State of the Art – A Manifesto Lite® may be sent directly to Mr. Hardaway at ty[at]middlespace[dot]net.