11.07.2007

Ask Ty...November 7

Q: How do you think American Gangster [Jay-Z] compares to Rock N Roll Jesus [Kid Rock] and vice versa?

What does this say about American pop art in 2007?

-Rich in Berkeley


Ty: Good question and an even better observation.
[Answer coming soon--after I actually listen to RNRJ--but the Jay-Z record is really goddamn good. In fact, in my "Records Order So Far" list, it's #3 above Kanye and just below (or tied with) Fiery Furnaces. It's very a close grouping among the top three.

I'll tell you this though, Kid Rock and Jay-Z have both published these records as Business Ventures (and "American Gangster" happens to be very good art too (and I'm NOT talking about the soundtrack). Again, I still have to listen to RNRJ. But, it's not subject of much buzz.
]
Just a guess!

-Ty