7.10.2006

All Our Art and Shit...

On 7/10/06, Rich wrote:

Subject:
All our music and shit...

No one gets it.

No one.

On 7/10/06, Ty replied:


So!

That was my initial reaction. More thoughtfully Zen-full than cynical or acerbic. On the other hand, I'm not sure if your comment is one of pride and accomplishment or one of frustration and dreams dashed a la Villa Rosie. I'm guessing it a mix of the two with a skew toward boastfully indignant. That I understand.

I too love that the art we create shoots so far over most heads that accessibility is grossly limited. But, it’s frustrating that the typical music/arts enthusiast is so numb to difficulty, originality, and interaction that our music and shit is not only dismissed, but also generally unprocessed. It doesn’t penetrate. For me there’s more of a generalized frustration that we live in a culture that hasn’t evolved past corporate force-feeding in regards the arts. But, hey, that capitalism, right? That’s showbiz, folks!

I think it was Jenkins in the WashPost that commented on the insider-ness of it. That was cool, something written about us that we liked. Jenkins gets it, Nuttycombe gets it, Marcus gets it, Wave gets it. There are a few others who get it (I'm sure I'm leaving someone important out). I think Daniel gets it for the most part. Maybe it’s not to the level that we get it, but so what? There are minds open to something different, something intensely personal and fulfilling that it doesn’t matter. And, that is good.

Now, “getting it” and “creating it” are wholly exclusive. Just because Marcus understands the mindset that creates this noise doesn’t mean he can or is willing to create it himself. Wave? Yes. Chuck? No way. The difference is we let go, we stopped caring about what comes next. We make it and divorce it for the most part. I cannot see past the end product anymore. People who suggest I do are returned blank stares. You know this, my friend.

Frustrations aside. Good for us. We win. Evolution is a motherfucker. All our art and shit…no one gets it. No one. And if I have anything to say about it, no one will because I will forever refuse to explain it.