5.12.2006

Catching Up ABC

A) Okay, my voter registration change confirmation came yesterday - I am officially (and perhaps temporarily) "UNaffiliated with a political party." So what if I cannot vote in the Democrat primary? I'm out of the quagmire. I've pulled my troops (and my money). I'm a free agent.

B) I saw him looking at me from across the station. I tried to turn away, to pretend that I was preoccupied, but he hobbled his gimpy ass toward me, crutches churning like a paddle wheel on a riverboat. Dang!

"Sir, you look like a truly kind man," began the solicitation. What kind of sucker do I look like? I thought I reeked of cynicism and distance. Here it goes, "I am not like the type of people that ordinarily do this, but I have run into some very bad luck. I can see that you understand that this kind of thing happens to people." Normally, if the pitch is good enough (or unique enough), I can spare a couple of bucks or something.

I offer empathy, "Gee, I know things can be tough...uh, we're all probably just a moment or two away from catastrophic bad luck, heh-heh...but, I'm on my way to pick up my daughter...." Yes, falling into the trap, he continues without breaking stride, "yes, I am certain you are an excellent father, I am sure of that, but I am trying to scrounge up five dollars so I can get...." It all jumbles here. I'm annoyed now, he's three inches from my face, and it doesn't appear that he really needs the crutches. I'm thinking, how am I the mark here? Out of all these suckers, me? How could that be?

So, I say, "Look, normally, I'd be happy to share a little bread, but I don't have a cent on me now." With that, he says, "Sir, that is generous of you and I appreciate your kindness, really I do...there is an ATM right there...."

Whatever. I'm the sucker. Needless to say, he didn't get a cent.

C) Found a file label in the elevator this morning: "RT 41. DEATH - SPIRAL" - WTF?!