4.26.2006

A Simple Conversion

Did I mention that I’ve converted? A couple of weeks ago. I had been thinking about it for a while, actually. Then, maybe, through some inspiration from Gregg Easterbrook’s book, “The Progress Paradox” (and his “We’re All Going to Die” article), I kind of took the leap. And, having lunch with Easterbrook was illuminating in that he really is a peaceful man. This is a change that sure beats most of the older paradigms. Like I said, I was pretty much on the threshold of this change so it wasn’t too a huge leap.

At first people thought it was a joke. The conversion didn’t seem overly plausible to them, but what do they know? Then came the jokes: “Oh what cult did you join?” “Are you going to try to recruit me now?” Ha-ha-ha. But, I’m about 90% certain that I can do this (and want to do this).

I now expect the best and look on the bright side of things. I can forgive, I’m more grateful, and I believe that I can ignore a lot of the irritating noise that can really bog us down.

I’ve converted to optimism. Yep, I’m an optimist. Hear that? That’s me whistling.