4.22.2006

Ask Ty...April 22 (#2)

Q: Ty, when you fill a ceramic mug with tea, and you put a spoon in it, and tap the spoon against the bottom of the mug, the pitch of the taps rises. If you stir the tea, the pitch goes down again. How come? (and I’m sure I’m using the word pitch here in the wrong way) - SM, California

Ty: SM, good question and an even better observation. You raise a good point. Pot smoking does make you want a good tea, now doesn’t it? Oh, and by the way, stoner, if you’re high enough, peanut butter goes great with EVERYthing.

What’s next with you, ‘what part of the chicken is the nugget?’ Tell you what, buzzard; next time I’m doing the wacky weed, I’ll try to remember to deconstruct the tea too.

Okay, pitch and stirring. I do believe that you are using “pitch” correctly - the property of sound that varies with variation in the frequency of vibration. But, how could stirring the liquid affect pitch? Are you adding milk or cream (or soy, like you stoner hippies are so healthy) whilst stirring? Are you certain you’re tapping at the same place (I think pitch would differ slightly along the side of the mug)?

Oh, maybe this is it: when you are tapping in calm tea the pitch is true and clear. But, when you stir, you are dampening the vibration’s opportunity to quickly and efficiently escape the ceramic mug (or “bong,” in your case) thus bending/slowing slightly. Slower vibrations are lower vibrations (as I’ve always said). I’m sticking with that.

Okay, back to your Twinkie (tm) binge, buzzy.

Just a guess. - Ty